Research has indicated that it is beneficial for people who run to make less than eight changes in their running routine at a time, as this may help to reduce or prevent running injuries. It is important to refrain from increasing speed and mileage too quickly, in addition to wearing correct running shoes. Runners tend to experience more aches and pains in comparison to people who enjoy cycling and swimming. Covid-19 restrictions may have led people to change their running habits from the gym to the road, and the difference in a smooth treadmill versus an uneven street can cause injuries and foot pain. Many experienced runners know the benefits of properly warming up before running, and this can prepare the body for the toll running takes on the feet. It is important to focus on one change to the routine at a time because this can give the body ample time to adjust. If you would like more information about how running can affect the feet, and how to prevent injuries, please confer with a podiatrist who can address any concerns you may have.
Exercising your feet regularly with the proper foot wear is a great way to prevent injuries. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact one of our podiatrists of the Foot & Ankle Center. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
Many common running injuries are caused by overuse and overtraining. When the back of the kneecap starts wearing out and starts causing pain in your knee, this is commonly referred to as runner’s knee. Runner’s knee is a decrease in strength in your quadriceps and can occur if you’re not wearing properly fitted or supporting shoes. To prevent runner’s knee, focusing on hip strengthening is a good idea, as well as strengthening your quads to keep the kneecaps aligned.
What Are Some Causes of Running Injuries?
– One cause of a common running injury is called iliotibial band syndrome.
– Plantar fasciitis is also another common injury.
– Stress fractures can occur from overtraining, lack of calcium, or even your running style.
Best Ways to Prevent Running Injuries
– Wear footwear that fits properly and suits your running needs.
– Running shoes are the only protective gear that runners have to safeguard them from injury.
– Make a training schedule. Adding strengthening exercises as well as regular stretching can help keep you strong and limber and can lessen the possibility of injuries.
– Stretching keeps muscles limber; this will help you gain better flexibility.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office located in Marrero, LA . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot and ankle needs.